How to Measure Your Pupillary Distance (PD)
If your doctor did not include your pupillary distance (PD) in the prescription, use one of these two easy methods to determine your PD.
What is Pupillary Distance?
Pupillary distance (PD) measures the space between the pupils of your eyes. Knowing this measurement is important to make sure your eyes match up with the optical center of your lenses, so you can see well with the glasses.
The average adult’s PD is between 54-74; kids' are between 43-54.
How to Measure Your PD?
- Stand 8 inch away from a mirror.
- Hold a ruler against your brow.
- Close your right eye then align the ruler’s 0 mm with the center of your left pupil.
- Look straight then close your left eye and open your right eye.
- The mm line that lines up to the center of your right pupil is your PD.
Check out the graphic below for more information and to learn how your friend can help you measure your PD.
Armed with your PD and prescription, you can shop at Cyxus to find your perfect pair of glasses.
- A Ask a Friend to Help You
1. Have your friend place a millimeter ruler across your brow.
2. Have them align the ruler's zero to the center of your right pupil.
3. With the ruler straight and flat, have them record the distance from the center of your left pupil.
4. This distance is your PD.
5. Repeat 2 - 3 times to ensure that you have an accurate measurement.
- B Use a Ruler
1. Stand or sit about 20 cm (about 8 inches) away from a mirror.
2. Hold a millimeter ruler above your eyes and flat against your brow. Close your right eye and align the ruler's zero to the center of your left pupil.
3. Without moving the ruler, open your left eye and close your right eye. The distance measured to the center of your right pupil is your PD.
4. Repeat 2-3 times to ensure you have an accurate measurement.
Sample Block Quote
Praesent vestibulum congue tellus at fringilla. Curabitur vitae semper sem, eu convallis est. Cras felis nunc commodo loremous convallis vitae interdum non nisl. Maecenas ac est sit amet augue pharetra convallis nec danos.
Sample Paragraph Text
Praesent vestibulum congue tellus at fringilla. Curabitur vitae semper sem, eu convallis est. Cras felis nunc commodo eu convallis vitae interdum non nisl. Maecenas ac est sit amet augue pharetra convallis nec danos dui.
Cras suscipit quam et turpis eleifend vitae malesuada magna congue. Damus id ullamcorper neque. Sed vitae mi a mi pretium aliquet ac sed elitos. Pellentesque nulla eros accumsan quis justo at tincidunt lobortis denimes loremous. Suspendisse vestibulum lectus in lectus volutpat, ut dapibus purus pulvinar. Vestibulum sit amet auctor ipsum.